Saturday, March 1, 2014

Thinking of Bread, Harry Potter, and the Future

Starting to feel the excitement and fear that comes with an impending life transition. On the one hand, I'm still busy preparing for our new cookstove lab at work, teaching English on the side, and doing daily things like cook tofu for dinner.  On the other hand, I've also been searching job websites with an increased vigor, thinking more about grad school, and daydreaming about the evergreens of the Pacific NW. The attempt to balance these two situational realities (one here, one there) has led to a reaction of both mind and body: indulging in my childhood fantasies through Harry Potter films, and staying up until 2am each night. I'm a little sleep deprived at the moment, feeling a little down. It's possible I've been lonely.

But I'm trying to fight it. I need to fight it. Tonight I'll force myself to go out with my friend, Lanny, who is visiting Jogja from Jakarta, where she works for the UK Dept. for International Development**. This morning she went to the Milas farmer's market and picked up some Bumi Langit sourdough bread. Really excited about this, because when we visited Bumi Langit a few months ago, the bread was still in prototype phase and wasn't on sale (though we were lucky enough to try!) It ranks up there as one of the best breads I've ever tasted.

Bumi Langit sourdough bread made with 4-5 different grains, including sorghum
This will be a carb-ful weekend for sure... and it won't be from rice!

**edit: False! She's actually doing freelance consultation at the moment, and is currently in the beginning stages of setting up an organic market in Jakarta, one that'll sell locally-sourced produce and artisan products!

4 comments:

  1. I remember your pictures about the bakery from fb. They looked really really delicious. Was it as good as you remembered?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was sooo good! Only thing is, since I don't have an oven to re-heat the bread, the texture wasn't the same. Frying the bread with butter on the stove also yields different results.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. it was! hopefully next time you can try it.

      Delete