Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Day 6: Wae Bao

Today was a more low-key day. Bu Chris really wanted me to get out more in the field, so she arranged for me to visit one of the desa we work with on the northeast peninsula of Flores, a small remote village of 1500 people, called Wae Bao. The main issue there, according to Pak Rafael, is water scarcity, so YDD/SIMAVI is currently working with the locals to establish a rain catchment that will be about 5m deep and 500m in circumference. Unfortunately, I ran into some communication difficulties and didn't quite understand the details behind the current construction work, but it definitely had something to do with piping…

The ride there was very scenic and I spent a lot of time looking outside the window. It took us about 2.5 hours from Larantuka on a very bumpy (and sometimes nonexistent) road. At times we were driving through a jungle, covered in a variety of trees and shrubs, while other moments we were right up against the coast, crystal clear water and mountains standing at a distance. It was peace for the eyes, let me tell you.

I also saw young girls gathering wood in the forest, which is something I am aware of because of Clean Cookstove program, but until now never witnessed in person. Although the YDD house in Wae Bao is equipped with a kompor minyak (kerosene stove), locals still primarily use a three-stoned wood fire for cooking. They do not use ceramic stoves in Flores Timur, like they do around Java.

Tomorrow after lunch I'll be heading back to Maumere. Again, pictures will follow when I have better internet connection...

No comments:

Post a Comment