Friday, March 7, 2014

Another Birthday in Indonesia

It maybe goes without saying that my time in Jogja has been heavily influenced by the people I've met. Through these friendships I've learned how to live, how to adapt, how to participate, and how to make sense of what I experience. Through these friendships I've learned how to appreciate Indonesia.

I consider myself lucky because not everybody gets two years abroad. And in the last year and a half, I've followed these friends through some very significant life moments. I've followed them through job interviews, career transitions, unemployment, scholarship attainment, pregnancies, senior presentations, birthdays, and the launching of entrepreneurial ventures. I feel honored to be a part of their memories and to be able to share our time together. 

Last night, these friends -- people I've met from various activities and groups -- came over to celebrate my birthday. There were a few friends who were unable to attend, but I'm so grateful that many people could still make it. And although everyone was coming from different social circles, I was happy to see them get along. My face hurt afterwards from smiling and laughing. 

What was missing, of course, were my family and friends back home. But they still celebrated with me from a distance. Thanks, guys. I feel very loved. :)

Family-style photo with friends from different social circles 
Friends sitting lesehan-style in my living room, enjoying rambutan, salak, jeruk, and bakpia

Me with Widya, Donald, and kids
(this photo was actually taken a month ago... unfortunately, I didn't take photos with this family last night!)
Me with my PIA friend, Julianne, who is also in her second year
Not pictured but totally present was an assortment of snack food: 
- sate ayam sama lontongchicken satay and rice cakes cooked in banana leaf, brought by Widya's family.
- salaksnakefruit, brought by Inu/Melly/Sani/Lanny
jeruk: oranges, brought by Ly
rambutan: the hairy fruit I described in "On the Senses", brought by Ly
spiced edam and feta: locally made by Indrakila Cheese and brought by Lanny. They also make a camembert-style cheese, which I really need to try.
crackers: the kind that go well "dengan keju", brought by Matt
- keripik tempetempeh chips, brought by Matt
- bakpiapastries special to Jogja that resemble the Filipino hopia, flavored with kacang ijo (mung beans), chocolate, and kraft cheese. Brought by Bibi and Fidel
- churros with chocolate sauce: made by a food stand on Jakal, brought by Julianne and Ade
- blackforest cake: brought by yours truly
- guava juice, orange juice, pop - brought by Ly, Julianne and Grace

No comments:

Post a Comment