Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Someone's in the Kitchen with Dinah

Things I should mention because it's all part of the experience:

Every day I get into work between 9 and 10am. Because of this wonderful start time (contrast it to the 6am zombie-march to the Boeing factory), I somehow feel justified in staying up way past midnight, watching youtube videos or reading articles online, maybe try to learn something if I'm going to be up this late fighting off sleep. Sometimes I'll research farmers markets and NGOs in cities I don't even live in, while other times it's all about celebrity interviews and music. During moments of pure academic discipline, you might catch me watching a Coursera lecture. Earlier this evening I watched a couple of lectures on Scandinavian film industry.

And now, at 1:20am, I'm browsing r/cheese and thinking about Dinah's, a sexy camembert-ey wheel of goodness made by Kurtwood Farms on Vashon Island in the Puget Sound. The longer I stay out here, the more I miss and appreciate artisan cheese as an art form. And I really, really miss tasting the result of such delicious artistic expression. It's inspiring in the same way that craft beer is inspiring, and my western heart and taste buds melt completely at this kind of stuff. What I wouldn't give to turn these images into a reality in front of me:

Dinah's cheese - photo borrowed from Kurtwood Farms
Cheese Platter - photo borrowed from ilikethebest212
Why do I torment myself with this right before sleep?

2 comments:

  1. From now until you get back, when I eat cheese I will think of you! I may go to the St. Paul Cheese Shop and get a sammich this weekend since I now have cheese on the brain. If I do, I'll report back so you can live vicariously through me. This idea is not intended to taunt you with things you can't have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Would love to live vicariously through you and your cheese escapades.

      Delete