Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Aku Rapopo

Aku rapopo.  My favorite Javanese expression.

This website describes it well. Translated: "Aku rapopo is an Indonesian meme derived from the Javanese language. It means, 'No worries' or 'I'm fine.'  Aku rapopo is used to express one's reaction when s/he tries to be strong despite experiencing disaster or the bitter reality of life."

In other words, it describes the reaction of being totally chill in situations that can be stressful or annoying. It also tends to bring out the humor in an unfortunate situation.

Here's one of my favorite examples:


As you can see, somebody has clearly sunk into a pile of quicksand, but so what? "Aku rapopo," he expresses, as he flashes the camera a double thumbs-up.

I love it. It's an attitude I'm encouraged to embrace here, and it never fails to make me laugh.

Just today I came into work, rather upset, having received a condescending email from one of our partners.  I ranted about this to my co-worker, Indar, who sympathized and then said, encouragingly, "Aku rapopo!" We laughed for a while, and I immediately felt better.

No comments:

Post a Comment