Monday, January 13, 2014

On My Way Home

I bike through kampung streets close to dusk. My mind zones in. There's me, riding over a speed bump. Me, weaving around a motorbike. Boys playing on a road filled with potholes. A man pushing a cart filled with meatballs. Two mothers carrying their babies. The road is bumpy, not smooth.

I see a grandpa riding a city bicycle, and I pass him on the left, saying, "Permisi, Pak," with a huge grin. He nods his head, smiling back, "Ya, monggo! Monggo!" I laugh to myself at the politeness of the situation, and I'm happy, just happy. It's a different kind of friendly back home.

And then, as I'm passing the rice paddy that I've passed many times before, I feel the wind and I stretch my back. I notice the skies: blue with purple clouds, not dark enough yet for rain. I'm about to continue on as usual, but when I look to my left, I see the rice paddy stretch out, houses in the distance. It's beautiful, drawing me stop, and so I do.  I stand there for a while, just staring.

Then, when something inside me sparks, I decide to take a picture. My phone is off, having died during the last hour of work, but I force it back on, squeezing the last bit of battery.  It works! and so I take a picture, quickly saving it before my phone shuts off once more.


It's a routine ride home, and my body guides my bicycle, having long memorized the path. Years ago, in Delft, I also memorized the path -- of course, I forget it now. And I know that one day, like with Delft, I'll forget the way to my home in Jogja. But until then, I'll live it.

As I turn into an alley seconds away from home, voices fill the air, and the prayers begin.

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I love how you are soo mastered in describing beauty of nature! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, love. Not sure about "mastered" though hehe. Sometimes it's so hard to capture natural beauty with words!

      Delete
  2. This is beautiful! Thank you for sharing a snippet of your day. Our blogs are so similar! The writing style and backgrounds. We really are soul sisters. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks girl. I'm so happy we're both blogging now haha. I'm looking forward to your future entries.

      Delete