Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Orientation in a Nutshell

I don't know how to summarize the last ten months.  It seems like an enormous feat, and any kind of summary will surely be lacking.  At the very least, I could start by showing some of my favorite photos.

Everything started at Stanford University in Palo Alto, where our pre-departure orientation was held.  There, all the fellows met for the first time, and it was lovely to be surrounded by so much talent and fresh ideas.  To this day I'm grateful to be part of such a multi-talented group of people.  Some are journalists, others are anthropologists, and there is at least one other engineer.  Traveling with them has been eye-opening, not just because of the things we see and do, but also because of the diversity in perspective and disciplines.

The whole trip to the bay area was wonderful for me, especially since I hadn't been there since I was a kid.  In fact, San Francisco was one of the first American cities I visited with my family when we were still living in Australia.  It's such an vibrant city, full of life, character, and some of the most delicious pastries I've ever had.  It's one of those cities you'll never get bored with and is absolutely perfect for people-watching.

Flash Mob in San Francisco

Graffiti in San Francisco

The most interesting part of San Francisco, for me, was witnessing the boom of the tech industry in person.  I stayed with a few friends, all of them involved in computer programming and digital media.  I had the opportunity to visit Twitter, and as I wandered through its colorful office, I couldn't help but compare the company's benefits to all the past jobs I've had.  Compared to Boeing, Twitter was like a breath of fresh, young air.  The food was delicious (although our friend informed us that Facebook recently snatched Twitter's best chef), and for some crazy reason, employees and guests could drink beer in the office!

After VIA training at Stanford, all the Southeast Asia VIA fellows then flew to Phnom Penh, Cambodia, where we spent two weeks with TEFL and NGO training.  Days were spent attending class and studying, while afternoons and evenings were spent exploring the city.  My favorite part of Phnom Penh would probably be the markets.  Smells of various kinds permeated the air, and you could also find some of the best food and coffee in the city.

A woman pouring soup at the Russian Market in Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Owner of a Coffee Stand at the Russian Market 

But a visit to Phnom Penh is also not complete without exposure to its contemporary history.  Between the years 1975-1979, the Khmer Rouge regime murdered over a million people, and although there are over 20,000 mass graves scattered around the country, Choeung Ek is one of the most well-known, allowing visitors to wander through the grounds and remember some of the atrocities that were committed.  One of stories I will never forget involves Khmer Rouge soldiers throwing babies at trees.

I will also never understand the propensity for dictatorial regimes to actively seek and murder some of the brightest minds its country has to offer.

Skulls of victims of the Khmer Rouge at the Choeung Ek Memorial, Killing Fields

And what is a visit to Cambodia without going to the Angkor Wat Archeological Park?  The place is truly beautiful, with some of the more breathtaking temples currently being swallowed whole by the trees.

Michael, fellow VIA vol, admiring tree trunks at Angkor Wat Archeological Park

Sunrise at Angkor Wat

For the Indonesia fellows, Angkor Wat and Siem Reap was our last trip before we finally headed to our new home.

No comments:

Post a Comment